Porter Cable Air Compressor Buyers Guide 2015
Are you here looking for that perfect air compressor? Worry no more, because this is the apt place for you. If you are a homeowner, you will know the importance of the porter cable air compressor manual. You can choose a compressor based on your requirements.
There is a wide range of compressors available. You might be a pro at this job, going about doing the basic repairs yourself around the house. Else, you might be a homeowner who uses a compressor for the necessary repairs in the house. Or, it is simply your love for tools that has brought you here. Whatever be it, hereunder is everything you need to know about compressors and their performances.
Uses of a porter cable air compressor:
- Air brushing
- Blow cleaning
- Brad nailing/stapling
- Finish nailing
- Framing nailing
Operation principles and components of a Porter Cable Air Compressor:
- Air compressor pump: the main idea behind using an air compressor is to keep changing the air pressure. This is achieved by the movement of a piston. When the exhaust valves remain open, the air is drawn in through the intake valve. Thereafter the air is compressed during the upstroke of the piston and air movement takes place via the exhaust valves, while the intake valves remain closed.
- Check valve: the check valve remains ‘open’ when the air compressor is in action. This allows the air to enter the tank. When the threshold value of the air pressure is attained, the check valves become ‘closed’ in order to maintain the pressure constant.
- Pressure switch: this is another important part of the air compressor. It has the ability to start automatically when the pressure in the air tank reaches the ‘cut-in’ value. This particular value is set by the factory. The pressure switch in turns starts the motor. On the other hand, when the pressure reaches the factory set ‘cut-out’ value, the pressure switch causes the motor to stop working.
- Regulator: the purpose of the regulator is to solely control the pressure of the air at which the device operates. Turning the knob of the regulator clockwise results in an increase in pressure, while the oppositely directed motion causes a decrease in pressure. It is always advisable to operate the porter cable air compressor from a lower pressure value. If you have to attain a particular pressure, start from a lower value and slowly increase it till the optimum value is attained. On the other hand, if you have to go from a high pressure value to a low pressure value, first bring it down to low value and then increase it in small steps to get the desired pressure value.
- Outlet pressure gauge: as the name suggests, this gauge determines the pressure that is present in the outlet of the regulator. This is essentially controlled by the regulator itself and is equal to the tank pressure, if not less.
- Cooling system: a lot of the efficient performances and the long life of an air compressor are due to the cooling system. It works extensively the air is being expelled out from the air tank.
- Drain valve: after every use of the air compressor, this drain valve is used to drain condensation. This is located at the base of the air tank and plays a major role in the working of the compressor.
- Motor Thermal Overload Protector: this is an efficient mechanism that protects the device from being damaged. If there is an overheating of the motor, the thermal overload protector will shut it off and it can be later restarted. This ensures the safety of the device.
- Pressure release valve: by principle, the air tank reaches a factor set ‘cut-out’ air pressure value. The pressure release valve is used for automatically removing compressed air from the compressor head and also from the outlet tube. This allows the motor to restart again and work freely.
- Safety valve: This is a measure to protect the device in case the pressure switch fails to perform. If the latter fails to stop the air compressor, then the safety valve pops out at its factory set pressure value and protects against overload.
Installation and break-in procedures:
- Air compressor: It is best to operate the air compressor in a dry, cool and well ventilated area. No dust should accumulate on the compressor. The ventilation in the air compressor is essential to ensure that the device is operated at the appropriate temperature. Hence, the ventilations should be kept free and unobstructed.
- The device comes assembled to you with a cord having a grounded wire and a grounding plug. The latter must be used with an outlet in the house or workplace that has been synchronized with the local codes and ordinances.
- How to carry out the break-in:
The pressure switch is kept in the off position. The power plug is inserted in the correct socket. The drain valve is opened by turning in order to prevent air pressure from building up inside the tank. Thereafter the compressor is made to start by switching on the pressure switch. The compressor is made to run for about 15 minutes keeping the drain valve open. It is then switched off by turning and the air pressure will attain the cut-out value and the motor will stop. The compressor is now ready for use.
- First and foremost, the lever is kept at the ‘OFF’ position and the air regulator is kept closed.
- The plug, hose and other accessories are attached.
- The lever is now turned to get it to switch on, keeping it at ‘AUTO’. The tank pressure builds inside till it reaches the cut-out value when the motor stops.
- The regulator is then opened and adjusted to the appropriate pressure settings.
- The lever is set to the ‘OFF’ position.
- The outlet pressure is changed to zero by adjusting the regulator.
- All the accessories are removed.
- Safety valve ring is pulled to maintain the tank pressure at 20 psi.
- The water is drained from the tank.
How to repair the porter cable air compressor?
The plastic parts of the porter cable air compressor are cleansed with a soft damp cloth. Use of solvents is strictly forbidden here. After a few months of usage, all the tools will need to be taken for servicing or replacement.
This happens due to wear and tear of the tools. However these should not be tried at home. It is best to get these repairs done by an authorized porter cable service station. These repairs are all insured with fully guaranteed services against defective parts or workmanship.
Tips & Tricks and Precautions:
- Before one starts using the air compressor, it is absolutely necessary to follow the break-in procedure in order to ensure a smooth working of the device. Else, it might tend to get damaged in the first go itself.
- While regulating the pressure of the air tank, always go from a lower pressure value to a higher value. This increases the efficiency of the device in question. Even while going from a higher to lower pressure value, it is best to decrease it to a smaller value and then increased to get the desired result.
- When the Motor Thermal Overload Protector comes into play and the motor is shut off, care should be taken that the motor is allowed to cool before it is restarted for further work. The motor needs to be protected when it is overworked.
- If there is air leaking from the compressor when the motor is already running, it is a matter of concern. This needs to be checked immediately. It is only when the motor stops working will there be a release of air from the valve. This will last only a few seconds and not more.
- The safety valve plays an important role in the functioning of the device. So it is advised to pull the ring on it every day to ensure it is working properly. Else, the compressor might explode due to over pressurization.
- If the plug provided does not match the available outlet, do not try to modify it. The plug and the cord should be checked well before use and one should look for professional help if there is any sense of damage.
While there are quite a few porter cable air compressors available in the market, which one do you go for? Here is a lit of a few that have been doing the rounds
PORTER-CABLE PCFP02003 3.5-Gallon 135 PSI Pancake Compressor
This is the lightest of the air compressor devices in question as it weighs just a little over 25 pounds. This gives the user the advantage of carrying it anywhere without any problem. It comes with oil free pumps that reduce the hassles of maintenance.
The voltage requirement is just 120V which is relatively standard. It also possesses quick couple which is factory installed that allows the product to have an easier access to regulated air. This comes with a 3.5 gallon tank. The air delivery time of the product is also handsome as it is delivered at 2 SCFM @ 90 psi, which not bad at all.
PORTER-CABLE C2002-WK Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor with 13-Piece Accessory Kit
It comes with a 150 psi tank which is known to store a lot more air than usual. The 6 gallon tank is easy to recharge, all thanks to its delivery of 3.5 SCFM.
Two features which help in the smooth running of this tool are the 30 psi ‘Bonus Air’ and the High-Flo Air regulator. What this does it protect the device from a large pressure drop.
The machine can generate enough pressure to nail in the guns for the installation of hardwood flooring. Coming to the noise factor, the device is louder than a vacuum cleaner, but quieter than a land mower. This is thus a great option for home use.
PORTER-CABLE PCFP12234 3-Tool Combo Kit
The best thing about the product is that it has a 6 gallon tank that can retain charge for a long time which helps the user drive a larger quantity of nails at one go.
This product allows a maximum of 150 psi which is relatively higher than the traditional limit of 135 psi. The air delivery time is as impressive 2.6 SCFM @ 90 psi. It also comes with the Tool Free Jam Release. This feature allows the product to remove nails faster than other air compressors.
|PORTER-CABLE PCFP02003 3.5-Gallon 135 PSI Pancake Compressor||PORTER-CABLE C2002-WK Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor||PORTER-CABLE PCFP12234 3-Tool Combo Kit|
|Weight||26 pounds||34 pounds||47.4 pounds|
|Product dimensions||18.1 x 17.2 x 18.5 inches||18.3 x 18 x 19 inches||22.5 x 20.4 x 20.6 inches|
|Voltage||120 volts||120 volts||120 volts|
|Compressor||3.5 gallon, 135 psi||6 gallon, 150 psi||6 gallon, 150 psi|
|Air delivery||2.0 SCFM||3.5 SCFM||2.6 SCFM|
|Other points||Comes with a durable oil free pump that lasts life long and needs no maintenance.||‘Bonus Air’ and High-Flo regulator to protect against a large pressure drop.||Tool-free jam release mechanism for easy nail removal.|
|Shipping||Shipping free||Shipping free||Shipping free|
|Warranty||1yr limited warranty on compressor components||1yr limited warranty on compressor components||1yr limited warranty on compressor components|
|Rating||4.6 out of 5||4.2 out of 5||4.7 out of 5|
In conclusion it must be said that all the products have their own advantages. The main idea here is to select the most appropriate product based on your needs and consumption. The products listed above are three of the most popular devices that are available in the market today. These are also small budget porter cable air compressors catering to both household and on site construction activities.